There are some dishes that even before you taste it you build up a bond, a wanting to try it specially with high expectations. This urge is builded up either through word of mouth or advertisement. I have a similar bonding story to share . This so called Humming bird cake was a cake which I had never heard or baked or tasted in my 30 years of life . Just few weeks back in TV I did see someone baking this cake and when the judges gave in high verdict ; also his decoration was so awesome with edible flowers and Ninu birdie . It made me sooo curious of what on earth is that cake ? Need to try.
Thank god we have Jamie Oliver and Joy of baking as our YouTube friends to turnfor guidance …. same week saw an arab foodstylist kitchen Maestro in Instagram styling a cake with edible pineapple flowers , as her recipe was in Arabic . I did google again and understood each aspect of the edible pineapple decoration and understood it’s mainly used in decorating humming bird cake .
So this cake has three steps. First step is the decoration part , the edible pineapple flowers, it’s baked pineapple….. for the first time if your making , you would feel it’s little time consuming or mess but it isnt all all . It’s totally worth when you do the icing of the cake . The other part of decoration is caramlized nuts , recipe calls for pecans as I dint have them used almonds instead . You can also use peanut chunky (kappalandi muttayi)
The second step is the baking of cake , we just require basic ingredients which you have in your pantry. This cake is an oil cake, it’s amazing to bake when you have over ripe banana which you were going to discard. Another main ingredient you need is tin pineapples , if you plan to use fresh pineapples be sure to cook it with loads sugar and make it tender . Also you require a spice flavour ; it could be of cinnamon or a mix of cinnamon and nutmeg or clove ,which ever you like .The final ingredient would be nuts , pecans actually compliments this cake but as I dint have them so used almonds . I just chopped dry almonds and added but I felt later if your making caramlized nuts for decoration, then add those as it would enhance the flavour .
The third step is icing , cream cheese light icing is what the recipe says . I just added little whipping cream too . Mine was store bought ready to use whipping cream .
- The fourth main step is to indulge in it for breakfast , lunch and dinner . I have a warning to make now !!! If you are a hardcore chocolate or sponge cake fan , then this isn’t for you ….. This is a spice flavoured light cake with some crunch and fruits .
Let’s get into baking the recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver .
- Oil- 1 1/2 cup (I used sunflower oil )
- Flour- 3cups( all purpose flour plus 2 tbs cornflour mixed )
- Cinnamon- 1 tsp ( you can mix nutmeg if you like , for me 1 tsp itself was too much kind )
- Caster sugar – 2cup (mixed half white and half brown sugar)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Very ripe bananas – 3 nos ( recipe says 4 , I used 4 too but felt very strong taste of banana)
- Tin pineapple chunks – 1 tin (425gm , big one )
- Eggs – 3 medium
- Pine apple essence – optional small pinch
- Vannila extract- 1 tsp
- Pecans- 50 gm (I used almonds )
- Icing sugar- 400gm
- Un salted butter – 150 gm (at room temperature)
- Cream cheese – 200gm
- Whipping cream – 200 ml
BRITTLE (caramlized nuts )
- Caster sugar- 1cup
- Water -2 tbs
- Nuts- 50 gm
- Pineapple – fresh small or medium sized
- Sugar- little to sprinkle
- Butter – little to grease
- Cupcake tray and baking tray
To make edible pineapple flower
- Cut the skin and then scoop the eyes of the pine apple then only you would get a petal kind of effect
- Cut to thin slices , sprinkle some sugar and place them in a greased tray and bake them one side at 120 c for 20-30 mins and the other side place them in a cupcake tray and bake , it caramlizes on sides or kind of dries up (it’s for that flower effect )
- This can be kept in fridge for 2-3 day so you can prepare a day before too.
To make the caramlized nuts
- In a nonstick pan add sugar and water and allow it to melt and carmlize then add in nuts and mix well , and move it to a greased pan , allow it to cool and chop it formthe decoration and in cake baking
- Mix the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, spices , sugar .
- Mix the wet ingredients seperate i.e mash the banana to that add drained tin pineapple chunks, nuts, oil , eggs and vanilla essence mix all togethere
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients and bake in 2 9”inch tins for 25-30 mins at 180 c.
- Allo cale to cool and then ice
- Beat the room temperature butter to that add icing sugar and beat add in cream cheese and whipping cream
- Ice the cake with it add nuts to the side and add in the edible pineapple flowers too