Kilikood aka birds nest , is Kerala – Malabar side snack specially made for the bridegroom or during Ramadan
Alhamdulillah, My mom in law has a small catering back in Kerala , something she is really passionate about ….. she is more into making snacks ,yes calicut style snacks kilikood was one of such item which I suggested to include in the menu . Five years back for a ramdan I made it for the first time , in her catering kitchen since then it’s there in my kitchen also for all ramadan .
What she makes and sells for the bakery is with beef mixture /masala .(beef kofta )
I made it here with chicken , boiled chicken and to that boiled potatoes are added stuffed with a surprise element and then rolled in roasted vermicelli .
I personally some how don’t like this snack too much , as I feel the vermicelli crunch doesn’t have any flavour , I prefer my good old cutlet than this . But my family are big time fans of this snack , so every Ramadan I do make it for them .
I did get some suggestions this year , instead of vermicelli to roll in kunafa base , should try that too once .
Why the name birds nest , i gues it’s because it looks like a nest created by birds with pilable materials like rootlets , grass etc . And when you cut this snack you can also find a surprise element , yes a Quail egg is stuffed in …… just like a real nest with egg ….
- Chicken -250 gm (boiled with salt and pepper and shredded)
- Potatoes -2 medium (boiled and smashed)
- Onion -1 chopped
- Ginger garlic paste -1 tbs
- Green chilly -2 nos chopped
- Turmeric -1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – chopped 1 tbs
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Quail egg – boiled and shell removed
- Vermicelli- 1 cup or more dry roasted
- Corn flour paste – 2 tbs powder diluted 1/2 cup water
- Oil to fry
- In a pan pour oil , add chopped onion and sauté , then add ginger garlic paste and green chilly add the boiled chicken , and spice powders to that add the boiled potatoes and coriander leaves and just mix all well . (You can use your basic cutlet filling )
- Then when the mixture cools down take some and flatten and stuff it with the small quail egg and then cover the egg and roll it to a ball.
- Now you can dip the chicken potato ball , to corn flour water( I am using this instead of egg coating ,it provides the same purpose )
- Then after the corn flour water coating , roll it in the vermicelli
- Deep fry till slight brown colour comes , everything is cooked just the vermicelli needs to be crisp .
- Can use beef masala also
- If no quail egg , stuff half a boiled egg .
- The vermicelli can be replaced with kunafa sheet
- Can make a green chutney for this .