So today when kids wanted pasta , I had no other option than to use it up . As my regular stock of pasta was over. If you ask me why was I so reluctant to use all this while ? I thought it was like the Italian risotto rice , would take a lot of cooking time and that too slow cooking and sticky . But I was soo wrong . Even though the macaroni looked like another version of long rice , it cooked really fast in 10 minutes time . I could say faster than the normal macaroni.
From Wikipedia I understood ~Orzo is also known as Risoni (big rice), it is a form of short-cut pasta, shaped like a large grain of rice. Orzo can be served alone, as a soup accompaniment, as part of a salad or pilaf or giouvetsi or baked in a casserole.
And this recipe it’s just an inspired casserole version . I read three recipes and just mixed it up with my ideas and cooked.
So I don’t have abcorrect measurement. As I just made it up with the stuffs I had at home . But I will give in a approximate and please do adjust with that , so sorry for that .
- Orzo Pasta- I used the whole pack it was way too much . You can use orzo or any pasta/macaroni you have at home.
- Just remember it should be cooked more than ala-dente (normally Italian pastas ; they don’t cook well to be soft , but as this is a desi style preparation I did cook it more time than the mentioned time on package for it to be soft .)
- While cooking orzo or any other pasta ,do add 1 tbs of oil for them not stick and be a lump . Also also while draining pour little normal water too.
- Kheema (minced meat ) ~ 300 gm (chicken/ beef or mutton)can be store bought or made at home.
- I minced it at home , to the beef meat I added 2 dry red chilly , 2 green chilly , 1/2cup of coriander leaves and salt . Just minced it all togethere .
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbs
I used the basic vegetables which I had at home . You can use mushroom , brocoli, carrots etc
- Onions-1 finely chopped
- Capsicum- 1 small chopped
- Sweet corn -1/2 cup
- Tomato sauce
Can be store bought or home made. I made it at home . To a blender I added
- Tomatoes -2 big nos
- Garlic-2 peice
- Tomato paste-1tbs
- Green chilly -1 nos
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Spices and herbs
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Red chilly powder -1/2tbs to 1 tbs
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder -1/2tbs
- Pepper powder -1/2tbs
- Garama masala -1 tsp
- Oregano -1/2tbs
- Mozrella cheese -1 cup
You can use mozrella cheese and white sauce . I was too lazy to make white sauce. I got few suggestions from my followers can use coconut milk instead of cream it gives really nice desi taste.
- Cooking cream -1/2cup to 1 cup
- Olive oil and salt as needed .
- In pan pour olive oil , add cumin seeds , when it splutters. Add in the ginger garlic paste and sauté well.
- Then add the minced meat i.e. kheema and sauté well till water is dryed up.
- Then add all the spices and herbs and sauté well .
- Then add the tomato sauce and sauté and close with a lid and cook
- Mean while in another pan sauté the vegetables. I do it seperately for the crunchiness . In a pan add olive oil and then add onion and then capsicum and corn and oregano powder and sauté and keep aside.
- When the kheema is cooked add in the the cooked and drained pasta to it and add the vegetables
- Now add the in the cooking cream , salt and pepper
- Transfer this to a baking dish you can add white sauce and mozrella and bake it.
- I just added mozrella and little oregano powder and baked it in my microwave oven for 5 min at 215C degree (or till cheese melts and a light golden sheen comes to cheese )