Momos are one of the comfort snack I make at home always , some thing which my kids don’t like much so I get to eat it all without sharing 😬😬🙈🙈 , such bad mom isn’t it ….. Also I have seen Momos are quite pricey here in dubai and not tummy filling as I can’t stop eating them in 4 nos , hence I make them it’s always there in my home .
I usually make it chicken and vegetables mixed . Vegetables commonly are carrot , capsicum and cabbage , mixed with spices and garam masala or any meat masala .
Recently one of my follower send me a classic chicken momos recipe , that doesn’t have vegetables and garam masala . I tried that too and I can say I am loving that version more now as it’s easy and less time in kitchen too as in no chopping of vegetables required and get to eat all chicken .
Only the momo shaping part is little difficult for me , as I am clumsy and not perfectionist. You can see it in the pics , I am adding a followers pic too with her permission to show you how it will look good if shaped well 😌😌.
Anyways both are yum with the chutney and do try it and let me know .
- Flour -1 cup ~ I used maida(all purpose) can use atta too (wheat flour )
- Oil -1 tbs
- Salt -1/2 tsp
- Water – required to knead the ball
Spicy Masala filling
- Chicken minced -200 gm (around 1cup)
- Carrot – 3tbs grated (squeeze and discard water)
- Capsicum- 3 tbs thinly chopped
- Onion -1 small thinly chopped
- Green chilly – 1thinly chopped
- Ginger garlic-1 tbs
- Soya sauce -1 tbs
- Pepper powder -2 tsp
- Garam masala -2 tsp
- Butter /ghee /oil- 1 table spoon
- Salt -1/2 tsp
Chicken classic filling
- Chicken -200 gms minced
- Onion-1 medium chopped
- Ginger garlic paste -1 tbs
- Vinegar-1 tbs
- Soya -1/2 tsp
- Coriander leave -2tbs thinly chopped
- Green chilly -1 thinly chopped
- Salt-1/2 tsp or more
- Oil/butter/ghee -1 tbs
Make the dough , add little oil and patbit and cover it with damp cloth and keep it for 20 mins while we mix the filling.
Mince the chicken first and to that add all ingredients And marinate and keep it for 10 mins
Then roll the dough , dust flour and roll like how you would roll for roti / bread , take a cookie cutter and cut to disc , I dint have cookie cutter in handy so used the glass …
The dough shouldn’t be thick , then you get thick momos , if too thin you tend to tear momos.
Take a circle disc add to 1 tsp heaped filling and seal edges with water if needed to make a semi circle i.e. moon shape , can pleat the ends to make a design or can make as ball or any shape you wish . I made a moon , and two end of moon I bought together to get a rose kind of momos. ( well that was in mind even though it dint end up well like that )
Take a steamer , add aluminum foil grease with oil and keep momos and steam it for like 10 mins it’s done . In medium heat steam , don’t make the fire too low then steam won’t come .
Momos need a chutney I love it that way .
The red chutney
- 3 dry chilly soaked in warm water .
- Tomato -1 boil one and remove skin
- Garlic -1 piece
- Kashmiri chilly powder 1 tsp (can avoid it too)
- Tomato ketchup -1 tbs (or to taste)
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Cumin -1 tsp jeera
- Water -1 tbs
In blender add all and make a chutney .
- They taste , when served hot .
- Be sure the momo disc are not thick
- Be sure your dough has salt too
- You can add any filling .