The first time I had this pudding was from an Iftar . One big hot plate full of toffee sauce and cake pieces , it dint look wow to me but tasted so good . It looked like a bread budding for me . I was like what dessert is this? … moist cake drenched in hot toffee sauce ? I first thought it was a chocolate cake .
That day itself when I came back home just googled about this pudding and how it is made , saw few vidoes . I was so surprised to know it was a dates cake.
And my version is a very basic one . Some do add flavours to the cake or to the toffee sauce , like dry ginger or orange juice or coffee etc .
So basically it’s a dates cake or dates pola, with warm toffee sauce . It is really an apt dessert during the Ramadan because we tend to have many different varieties of dates at home . And the good part is , this cake doesn’t taste of dates also …. You can use any variety of dates (not the raw ones). I used really dark black fresh dates . I have previously used sukry and ahaa dates also.
The main star of the cake is brown sugar it’s , that which gives the dark brown colour to the cake and the delicious taste for toffee sauce .
But one of my follower did message me that she uses normal white sugar instead of brown sugar , the cake turns out to be yum and to make caramel sauce instead of toffee sauce , cause while caramlizing the normal white sugar you get the golden sauce.
The sticky toffee pudding you can have it warm with cold ice cream or whipping cream or can cool the cake and have it with a cup of hot black coffee . I love it with coffee.
- 1.5 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup or 100 gm butter
- 20 dates chopped (around 150gm)
- 1 cup hot water
For toffee sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp of salt ( optional if you like that taste)
For caramel sauce
- Sugar-1 cup
- Butter-3 tablespoon
- Cream-150ml (thick cream or whipping cream is fine )
- Salt – a pinch if you like that taste
- In a pan pour the hot water, dates and baking soda and mix and keep it aside for 5 to 10 mins and then later just semi cook it to a paste kind of texture.
- Then beat the room temperature butter and sugar to be creamy .
- To that add the Sifted flour and baking powder mixture. Just fold in the flour .
- Add in the eggs and mix .
- Then add the dates mixture and beat well to in low speed to mix all , don’t over mix
- Pour into greased individual molds or to a cake pan . Or in to your non stick pan to cook on gas stove .
- Bake At 180c for 25 to 30 mins.
Toffee Sauce and Caramel Sauce
- To make toffee sauce in a saucepan add in butter when it melts add, the sugar and then the cream and boil to semi thick sauce (can add the pinch of salt if you like your toffee to be salted toffee sauce ). You need to decide if you want thin sauce or thick sauce accordingly need to cook and thicken . Never do any other job while making the sauce.
- To make caramel sauce , in a pan add sugar and stir the pan to sides for sugar to melt , when it turns to a honey (golden , amber) colour add in the cream and stir well and then the butter .